David Lake, GCC CEO
David Lake is the CEO of GCC responsible for global operations, strategic consulting, investor relations and TMT services
Lake has specialized in providing financial consulting solutions for three decades and is active in the China capital market and the Asian region for that same period of time. Lake leads special projects in terms of consulting, strategy and investors relations, with a focus on TMT Services and Global Listing activities.
On the TMT Services front, Lake has concentrated on the development of media businesses and networks in a range of Asian and global markets for China, European and Australian multimedia companies. Lake has competed M&A, business rollouts and media license negotiations in select Asian, European and Middle Eastern markets.
In the Global Listings sphere, Lake has spearheaded projects in the European market for Mongolian, Singapore and Hong Kong businesses centered on the German stock exchanges of Frankfurt and Berlin. Consulting on all aspects of the listing process, Lake has overseen the purchase of a Frankfurt listed shell company and worked on direct listing approvals for GCC portfolio companies.
Active as a director for nearly a decade, Lake’s has a solid insight into the inner working of listed companies. Lake remains a director of listed companies in Canada, with an expertise on corporate governance and financial strategy. Lake is an independent director for Liuyang Fireworks listed on the TSX Ventures Exchange as well as a director and CEO of KCC Capital, a Canadian Pool Company listed on the TSX Ventures Exchange and geared to listing China businesses.
Over the years, Lake has completed a important assignments for leading groups and entrepreneurs in Greater China.
- Lake sought China M&A opportunities for HK-listed e-Kong Group, led by renowned telecom pioneer Rick Siemens
- Lake consulted with the Managing Director of the “South China Morning Post”, a leading media company in Hong Kong, on investor relations and special projects
- Lake worked for over a decade on investor relations, asset divestitures, fund raising and capital markets branding for New World Group, a Hong Kong conglomerate and the largest PRC foreign investor. Lake consulted for NWTMT, NW Telecom, NW Infrastructure, Pacific Ports, NW Development, NW China Land and NW CyberBase
- Lake completed a range of financial projects for Mainland companies working with Guotai Junan Securities, a PRC investment bank, during the 1990s and early 2000s.
Asian TMT Services
Lake has a deep background in media and related services that extends over three decades and across three continents.
- As Special Projects Director for FIA (Financial Intelligence Asia), Lake consulted for finance and IT firms like Macquarie, JPMorgan, Standard Chartered, Microsoft, China.com, Sybase and Bank of America. Lake concluded projects for New World Cyberbase and 21CN Cybernet, an affiliate of China Mobile and China Telecom.
- Lake owned and operated China media and advertising businesses from 1994 to 2003. As CEO of Beijing-based Tianyi Media Group, Lake was responsible for publishing “Show” and “Wealth” magazines. Lake founded Beijing-based Nine Star Advertising Agency to focus on media projects and publish “Capital Markets & Investor Relations Review”, the first bilingual financial publication in China.
Lake founded and built Investor Relations International in Canada, working at the highest levels of the Canadian corporate world on select assignments such as:
- Capital markets strategy and IR for the President of Montreal Exchange
- Advisor for Teleglobe CEO on international and domestic on financial issues
- TIW advisor in the Czech Republic and India for cellular license auctions
- Microcell on the launch of PCS across Canada
- Royal Bank of Canada on special projects regarding corporate communications
- Cossette Communications, Canada’s largest communications company, as a financial specialist on a range of projects
Lake commenced his career as a journalist and publisher in 1980 and moved into global financial reporting in 1983. Lake has written four books and contributed articles to over 50 publications worldwide
- Lake published or invested in “Blowup”, “Capital Markets and Investor Relations Review”, “Wealth” and “IR Magazine”
- Lake contributed to leading financial publications such as: “Euromoney”, “Institutional Investor”, “FIA”, “Global Custodian”, “CFO”, “Investor Relations”, “Infrastructure Finance”, “Asia Money”, “Business Tokyo”, “Asian Finance”, “The Globe & Mail” and “Asia Inc.”
- Lake authored books for the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU): “Japanese Capital”, “Global Corporate Finance in the 1990s” and “Finance and the Environment”
- Lake’s first book “Investor Relations” was published by Euromoney and Dewe Rogerson